Mar 13, 2012

A Simple Meditation Routine to Help You Sleep Better- Article # 9- rejected # 1 in my challenge....


I have tried to submit this article to street articles over 5 times. I have edited it over and over. I have gotten soo frustrated! I keep getting rejected! Oh well, I said at the beginning of the challenge that those articles that were rejected I would publish here. On to article to new articles....let me know what you guys think of this one...:)

Meditation has always fascinated me. I have wanted to know more about it for a long time. About a 3 months ago I researched meditation. During my search, I found lots of websites, books, and information about mediation. I tried a simple meditation technique. Immediately, I felt more relaxed. Since then, I have began to meditate almost every day. In fact, on the days I do not mediate, I find I am not as centered, more frustrated, and it is harder to fall asleep.
I will outline a simple meditation technique that has been helpful for me. To begin meditating:
  • I sit on either on soft chair, on my bed, or the floor. (I usually sit with my legs crossed but you can choose to sit however is comfortable for you.)
  • I turn off the TV and put my cell phone on silent. I listen to music I find peaceful, soothing, and not distracting. Often, I do not listen to any music. I try to make my house as quiet as possible.
  • I also make sure I am wearing comfortable clothing.

  • I close my eyes and concentrate my thoughts on either: one word, one phrase, one image (such as a candle flame or large tree).
  • As I concentrate on just one thought so many others flood my mind at once.(This is the beauty of and mental exercise of meditation.)
  • I push all other thoughts out of my mind except the first thought. My mind begins to quiet.
  • Each time a different thought or image comes into my mind, I push them out slowly, returning to the first thought.
  • As I continue to focus on the first thought and push others from my brain, I breathe deeply in and out. My mind becomes completely quiet, more focused, and my body is comfortably relaxed.
  • I usually meditate for at least 10 minutes and no more than 30. (The amount of time you choose to meditate is up to you.)
  • I find that the best time to meditate is either in the morning or afternoon. I also find that it is not best to meditate when I am about to go to sleep, or am really tired. (The first few times I meditated, I found myself falling asleep because I was so relaxed, this is okay when you first start. As you continue, you should not let yourself fall asleep. Training your mind is the purpose of meditation, so it will become easier to stay awake as you become more experienced with your routine.)
How does meditation aid in my sleep if I do not use it before I fall asleep? My days go smoother. I am able to learn to live in the moment. I am more aware of my thoughts and how to control them. I relax quicker, I am able to dismiss negative thoughts, and I am less stressed. I am living in the moment. I have more over control what dreams I want to have and have less nightmares.
Is meditation for you? Yes. I know it will help you feel more centered, live more in the moment, and help with your stress. Peaceful sessions of mediation ahead and as ever sweet dreams!

2 comments:

Dianneroy said...

Hey Merril.
I was interested in this article you wrote. I do a form of meditating some times. I know the power of it. how it can change your perspective on yourself and your outlook. It can give you a new feeling about what your hoping for in your day to day life. I liked it very much. I like how you changed your format of your blog.

meranda2100 said...

Thanks so much Monique!

I appreciate your support and feedback :)
I am glad that you like my new format. Meditation is powerful. I am happy that it is helping you in your life.
Also, thanks for you critique of my article.
Happy Meditating to you!